Thursday 17 July 2008

Introducing... Dr Happy!

I check your facebook profile more often than you do. Your pictures are saved on my hard drive, and some of them have been printed out and put in the book I've written about you. In some cases, the other people in the photos have been cut out deftly using a surgeon's knife, or disguised by a few messy strokes of the same pen that I use to scribble prescriptions for myself in times of dire need. I've never put myself in any of the photos. I prefer seeing you by yourself. I take the pills and look at the pictures, and they make me happy.

I am Dr Happy, the one that people turn to when they need cheering up. When my work is done, they forget about me. I have only words and pictures for company. They are as false as the smile on my mask. They are nothing but images, disconnected from the truth, from this reality in which I find myself. I hide behind the smiley face at night and try to hide the pain as I consider how easily my patients manage to hide behind forced feelings, hurling themselves into lie after lie. But their happiness is only ever short-lived, like the memory of a dream. And so the patients return...

I take the pills and write the books, and I stare at these walls and laugh. I wear my mask and I stare at the mirror, and the time has come. The time has been given to me, because I have a party to go to. Dr Happy has a party to go to, and it's time to find some new patients :-)

No comments: