Sunday 27 December 2009

The illusion of the position of the newspaper on the train

(The tab takes me backwards instead of forwards, but I quite like that for some reason)

On a stationary train in a train station, the relativity of movement to the adjacent train isn't the only illusion likely to play with the imagination of the idle passenger waiting to depart... I looked to my left, and the girl next to me was reading the paper; I looked to my right, and the man sitting next to me was reading the same paper. But the paper to my right was the real copy. It had just been coincidence that the girl too was looking down, perhaps reading something as well (and imagine if she'd been reading the same paper?).

The memory of reality that returned to the point that interested me the most was that, before the newspaper entered the scene, I had no idea if the girl to my left was in fact on the train next to me, or if she was the reflection of a girl sitting elsewhere on my own carriage. The illusion of the position of the girl on the train.

[ ... ]
The train came closer and closer and closer and I didn't know why it was coming so close, it was coming closer and I realised that there must have been a points failure because it was coming closer and it wasn't going to stop and it came straight for me and then it smashed through the window and I realised that it wasn't actually a train but the image of a train that was somewhere else.
[ ... ]

No comments: